How can we create more accessible campus tours?
You can create a more accessible campus tour by incorporating the following suggestions into your tour plans:
- Use descriptive language when conducting a tour.
- Take wheelchair-accessible routes.
- Be prepared to provide accommodations (e.g., sighted guides for visitors who are blind, interpreters or assistive listening devices for visitors who are deaf or hard of hearing).
- Make sure printed materials are available in alternate formats and that they can be downloaded from the web, in advance, for review.
- When possible, post brief written descriptions at key sites, or have written "scripts" of the tour available.
For related information, see the DO-IT Knowledge Base article How does a student who is blind learn to navigate around campus?