University Marketing & Communications


University Photography (UPhoto) exists to provide excellent on-brand images for marketing and communications use at the UW. We love working unit partners who have great visual storytelling opportunities! We serve the entire campus and can shoot in any photographic style. We also provide iconic and general use images of the University on the University’s Photo Collection site.

All images are copyright of the UW and become part of the history of the University. We do not sell photography or provide rights for commercial use.

If you’d like to know more about our boundless photographic style, please view our photography guide.

Please note, we are the marketing photography group and do NOT do portraits, group shots or events.    You can schedule a photographer for those needs at UW Photo (which is deceptively similar to University Photography!  Sorry for confusion). More information below.


How much do you charge?

We are a free service in support of university marketing, branding and communication activities.

Do you do staff and student head shots?

Due to limited resources we do not take general portraits unless they are related to university marketing. We recommend you contact UW Poster and Photo in south campus for portraits and group shots. They charge a minimal fee and take budget numbers.

Do you do event photography?

Unfortunately we do not have the staff to accommodate event photography. However, we can recommend affordable freelance photographers that work with the UW on a regular basis.

How do I schedule a shoot?  

Please fill out the photography request form.

How far in advance should I schedule?

We often book out a month in advance and often it takes time to schedule locations and participants. Remember to consider the academic calendar when scheduling to be sure avoid faculty and students breaks.

What happens after my photos are taken?

Your photographer will send a link with images. You may be asked to make a selection which will be edited to your liking. Please download your files as they are only available on the server for 3 months.

Do I need model release forms?

A release form is required by law in order to provide the University permission images for a variety of communication purposes. You can find the model release form on the UW Brand Resources site.

Can I take wedding pictures on campus?

Please see our Campus Filming and Photography section for more information on commercial and personal photography on campus

Can I fly my drone over the University?

Certified UAS pilots should adhere to all FAA regulations while on UW property. Non-commercial pilots are expected to adhere to the FAA’s Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). UW controls airspace near the hospital, athletics village and residence halls and it’s good practice to notify building managers of any scheduled drone shoot. UW Medicine operates a helipad near the Athletic fields and it is prohibited to fly a drone in this area. If a drone is flown anywhere near UW hospital you should register it with Life Flight at (206) 329-2569.
For flight plans, you can use Airmap to plan your flight.

Please Note: Per FAA regulations, it is illegal to fly a drone near Husky Stadium one hour before till one hour after a football game. UAS operations are prohibited within a radius of three nautical miles of the stadium.

Where can I find more examples of your photos?

To see the whole photography collection visit the University’s Photo site.
For other collections:
Vintage Campus Photography
Special Collections Photography