Skip to content

Travel Registration for Faculty and Staff: FAQs

Register your own travel


  • Travel registration is the way to access your international insurance coverage, paid for by the Executive Office.
  • Part of this insurance coverage includes access to International SOS, an overseas emergency assistance service. Accessing the ISOS materials is done through your travel registration portal.
  • Travel registration is the primary way that UW Global Travel Security stays up-to-date on the whereabouts of travelers abroad on UW official business. In the event of an emergency, resources are more readily available when we know where you are, how to reach you, or how to get in touch with your emergency contacts.
  • In some cases, travel registration is required by your department for reimbursement.
  • Travel to high risk destinations requires, per university policy, approval from the International Travel Risk Assessment Committee and the Provost.

  • After clicking on a registry link above, you’ll be asked to login with your NetID.
    • Note: you will see a large ‘UW Study Abroad’ logo – you’re in the right place!
  • Next, you will enter relevant traveler information, including name and NetID as well as destination and dates of travel.
    • Note: you will need to select the destination from the dropdown menu. It will populate with destinations once you start typing.
  • We encourage you to provide the mobile phone number you will be using abroad and emergency contact information.
  • You can also share flight information, detailed itineraries with multiple destination cities, and lodging information.

A Travel Waiver is required for travel to any Department of State Level 3 of 4 country or region. If you are traveling to a country that has Level 3 and 4 areas, even if you will not be traveling to them, you will be required to submit a waiver. If a waiver is required, it will be included in the registration process.

Our system is automated to flag any country with an elevated advisory level (including regional ones), which is why a travel waiver may be required for your itinerary country. Due to technical constraints, we aren’t able to filter out destinations by city. We can’t account for every city in every Level 4 region around the world. The solution is a travel waiver that deploys based on the itinerary country, not city or region. The travel waiver, in this case, acts essentially as a signature document, confirming your itinerary city. The intention is to help us mitigate and reduce the possibility that we would be unaware of UW travel to a high-risk area. 

  • Your registration will be processed immediately, and you will receive a confirmation email.
  • We encourage you to also register your travel with the U.S. Embassy / Consulate through the U.S. State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.

  • The UW International Travel Registry assists the Office of Global Affairs in providing emergency support and resources to UW travelers abroad.
  • It is not an approval process.
  • Registry information is confidential. It is used by the UW Global Travel team in case of an emergency, and to provide support when requested.

  • All UW employees traveling outside of the U.S. on official UW travel.
  • All UW graduate assistants, residents and fellows traveling outside of the U.S. on official UW travel.

  • If you are leading a group of students on an international program or trip not affiliated with the Bothell, Seattle or Tacoma study abroad offices, visit the UW Student Tours website to register your program and learn more about how UW Study Abroad and the UW Global Travel Security program can assist with administering the health and safety elements of your program.
  • All students traveling overseas through an academic program or receiving funds/sponsorship from UW must purchase the UW International Insurance, activate International SOS, register international travel, and request a waiver for travel to high-risk destinations.

Student status takes precedent over employment status for UW international travel. If you are enrolled in any credit-bearing capacity at the UW, you are required to register your travel as a student, even if the travel is related to your employment.

  • Those taking non-matriculated classes should register as faculty/staff.
  • UW Medical Residents should register as faculty/staff.

UW students, click here to register your travel.

Need help with the registry?

Contact the UW Global Travel Security team at or 206.616.7927