Skip to content

International Emergency Assistance

Emergency steps for UW students, faculty, staff and program directors

  • Take whatever actions are necessary to assure your immediate safety.
  • Call the local emergency number.
  • Call CISI at 1-877-714-8179 (toll-free) or 1-603-952-2660 (accepts Collect calls).
  • Contact the UW Global Emergency line at 001-206-632-0153 for further assistance.

Students who received a waiver and purchased their own insurance should contact their individual insurance carrier.

UW Global Emergency

  • Phone number: 001-206-632-0153
  • Answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by the UW Police Department.
  • The operator will collect information about the emergency along with your contact information and forward the information to the Global Travel Security team, who will assist you.

Be prepared to provide the following information if possible:

  1. Your name
  2. Return contact information
  3. Country and program of study
  4. Name(s) of persons involved
  5. Description of emergency
  6. Actions taken
  7. Assistance needed

Non-Emergency Assistance

If the incident is no longer an immediate or potential risk to health, safety or security, you can report it to the Global Travel Security team during the next business day at


Alert Traveler is a free mobile app, connected to your UW account, that provides you with real-time updates related to safety and security while abroad and allows the Global Travel Security team to best assist you in case of emergency. Travelers can activate AlertTraveler within 30 days of their departure. Activation instructions are within your travel registration. Learn more about AlertTraveler here.

Counseling Resources

UW Counseling Center: Free, short-term counseling is available to UW students.
UW Hall Health: The Mental Health unit can provide more long-term counseling for a fee.
Crisis Clinic: 24-hour crisis line and community resource directory, +1.866.4CRISIS (+1.206.427.4747)
Harborview Center for Sexual Assault & Traumatic Stress (HCSATS)
Public Health Seattle and King County Planned Parenthood

U.S. Embassy

If you need to get in touch with the U.S. Embassy, use this resource to find contact information for the nearest location.

When you are in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws. If you are arrested, immediately ask to speak to a consular officer. Under international agreements, the U.S. government has a right to provide consular assistance upon request.

The Embassy or Consulate can:

  • Provide a list of attorneys who speak English if you require legal assistance
  • Assist in contacting your family, friends or employers in the U.S.
  • Help you obtain money from your family in the U.S.
  • Monitor your health and welfare if you are in the hospital or jail
  • Replace a stolen passport
  • Help obtain appropriate medical care
  • Provide information about the local criminal justice system

They cannot:

  • Demand the immediate release of a U.S. citizen arrested abroad or cause a
    citizen to be released
  • Represent a U.S. citizen at trial, give legal advice, or pay legal fees and/or fines
    with U.S. governmental funds