Students traveling on their own to a conference or to participate in any other non-curricular, UW-related activity, are required to register with TRIP per the UW Official International Student Travel Policy.
All UW students – graduate and undergraduate – who are traveling outside the U.S. for UW purposes but not enrolled through UW Study Abroad. For example, students attending international meetings and conferences.
If you are doing fieldwork, research, or participating in a study abroad program not affiliated with UW Study Abroad then you should register for Field Research and Independent Learning Abroad (FRILA).
Note: International students also need to register any time they are traveling for University purposes including when traveling to their home country.
- After clicking the registry link above, you will be asked to login with your UW NetID.
- Complete the form, providing details including your name as well as destination and dates of travel.
- We encourage you to provide the mobile phone number you will use abroad and emergency contact information.
- You can also share flight information, detailed itineraries with multiple destination cities, and lodging information.
- Enroll in UW Abroad Insurance, including downloading and activating International SOS. Your student account will be billed for your international medical and security insurance, based on the duration of your time abroad. For more information, see FAQs.
- Provide 24/7 emergency contact information.
- Submit travel waiver, if applicable.
- Sign an assumption of risk.
- Complete the online UW Global Travel Health & Safety Orientation.
- Your registration will be processed immediately, and you will receive a confirmation email.
- Please also register your travel with the U.S. Embassy / Consulate through the U.S. State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
- We recommend saving important Emergency Assistance contact information, including your country’s 911-equivalent, International SOS, UW Global Travel Security, and the nearest embassy.
- The UW International Travel Registry assists the Office of Global Affairs in providing emergency support and resources to UW travelers abroad.
- It is not an approval process – your department or unit should have already approved your travel.
- Registry information is confidential. It is used by the UW Global Travel team in case of an emergency, and to provide support when requested.
- You are required to register your travel and enroll in insurance, as per university policy.
Traveling for University purposes includes travel and activities abroad that are funded, sponsored, administered, arranged, or approved by the University; or where credit is awarded or degree requirements are fulfilled.
Travel with a Registered Student Organization (RSO), that is not otherwise funded or supported by the University, and personal travel such as a vacation is NOT for University purposes.
Need help or have questions?
Contact the UW Global Travel Security team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.616.7927
Not a student?
Employees register here.