Skip to content

UW Employee International Insurance (2023)

Insurance Changes, Effective January 2024

The University of Washington is switching global insurance providers, effective January 1, 2024. For questions regarding insurance in the 2023, calendar year, consult the information below. For all global travel in 2024, emergency assistance will be provided through International SOS. For specific questions regarding this change, consult the FAQs.

International SOS FAQs

Until December 31, 2023, UW provides emergency travel assistance to faculty and staff traveling abroad on University business, not including health insurance abroad. UW employees traveling abroad on University business are, for the duration of 2023, automatically covered by an emergency travel assistance plan administered by CISI. It provides assistance with medical, security, and natural disaster evacuations. Please review the CISI benefits document for full details. See below for how to enroll in optional emergency medical coverage.

2023 Plan Benefits Include:

-Medical and security evacuation services for emergencies plus repatriation benefits

-Natural and political disaster evacuation coverage

-Limited trip delay coverage up to $2,000, including quarantine costs due to a positive COVID-19 test


2023 Plan Benefits DO NOT Include:

-Accident and sickness medical coverage

-Coverage for property loss due to theft


Optional emergency medical coverage for travelers through December 31, 2023:

Starting Jan. 1, 2023, UW employees traveling overseas on University business can enroll in emergency medical coverage. This is optional coverage. This plan, administered by CISI, includes coverage for treatment due to medical accidents and illnesses that occur while abroad.

Plan information:
  • Daily rate: $2.16/day
  • Includes treatment for pre-existing conditions.
  • Dependents eligible for enrollment.

Please see this CISI flyer for more information.

The full policy document can be downloaded here.

Please note that emergency medical insurance coverage is not considered a reimbursable expense under UW Travel policies.

How to enroll:

Enrollment is available through travel registration.

As a first step, please register your trip. The enrollment link is located within the ‘Insurance Information for UW Faculty and Staff’ checklist item in your travel registration.




The international insurance structure is changing at UW in 2024. As of January 1, 2024, UW employees will have international medical and evacuation coverage while abroad. Employees will also have access to International SOS, an emergency assistance provider. To access the insurance benefit and International SOS, register your travel with UW Global Travel Security.

  • Employees are considered to be traveling on University business if they are on the UW payroll and travel expenses are paid by the University.
  • If you are not traveling abroad on University business, you will not be covered by the emergency travel assistance plan. Please compare travel insurance policies and plans to find one that is best for you.

  • No, as with student employees you should enroll in UW Student Abroad Insurance. This includes teaching assistants who are co-leading UW study abroad programs. 

  • If you need to activate the insurance benefit in 2023, contact CISI at 1-877-714-8179 (toll-free), 1-603-952-2660 (accepts Collect calls), or
  • If you need to activate the insurance benefit in 2024, use your International SOS app (downloaded during travel registration) or call +1 215 942 8226.

Contact CISI at 1-888-617-1301 or