Applications due by May 15, 2023 at 5:00 PM PT
The Office of Global Affairs (OGA) offers awards up to $3,000 to convene new cross-disciplinary groups of faculty and staff (referred to as “communities”) that share a common interest in:
- a region or country
- a research theme
- good practice/innovation in inclusive globally engaged teaching, including study abroad
- other topics relating to global engagement
Communities will meet during Fall 2023 – Spring 2024.
The purpose of the awards is to foster new connections among faculty and staff at the UW. OGA first developed these awards in Spring 2022 following the Global Engagement Task Force.
Strong projects should demonstrate:
- Clear outcomes and outlined goals
- Consideration of long-term sustainability
- Cross-disciplinary and/or cross-college focus
Fellows will convene these communities six times over the course of the 2023-2024 academic year with the broad aim to increase connections among faculty/staff across units and to foster deeper ties and collaboration. Communities must have a minimum of six participants.
OGA can support fellows in identifying faculty/staff who may be interested in participating, though the primary responsibility for identifying interested community members will be on the fellows.
Funds may be used for:
A salary supplement for the fellow/s
Hiring a student assistant
Community activities (ex: refreshments for meetings, speaker honoraria)
- Faculty members
- Staff members (with a co-lead faculty applicant)
- Post-docs (with a co-lead faculty applicant)
- Current PhD students (with a co-lead faculty applicant)
- Online application form submission: Apply here!
- Applications must include an attached letter or email of support from department chair
|Application deadline||May 15, 2023|
|Awards announced||May 30, 2023|
|Award use period||May 30, 2023 to July 1, 2024|
|Reimbursements due||No later than July 1, 2024|
|Narrative reports due||No later than July 15, 2024|
|Unused funds returned to OGA||No later than July 30, 2024|
At the end of the award use period, fellows will discuss the outcomes and sustainability of their community with OGA. They are required to submit the following materials to OGA at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Brief narrative report – describe the community, outcomes, and next steps
- Outline use and impact of funds
- Budget report reflecting actual expenditures
OGA may follow up to do additional marketing and story-telling around each community.
Previously successful proposals:
UW Multi-Sustainability Academic Program
A community for UW Study Abroad program directors who are dedicated to adopting environmentally sustainable best practices in faculty-led UW Study Abroad programs.
Fellow: Dr. Taso Lagos (Lecturer, Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies)
Teaching with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
A community for UW faculty who would like to explore pedagogical tools to engage with the UN SDGs in their courses to promote global literacy and cross-cultural competence.
Fellow: Dr. Yen-Chu Weng (Lecturer, College of the Environment)
Global Environmental Change Engagement
A community for UW faculty and staff who would like to learn more about how to engage with international environmental change processes, committees, and organizations.
Fellow: Dr. Kristie L. Ebi (Professor, Center for Health and the Global Environment)