AccessEngineering Community of Practice
AccessEngineering staff and faculty leaders engage in an online Community of Practice (CoP) that includes key stakeholder groups that impact the success of students with disabilities in engineering programs (e.g., faculty, disability service units, online learning programs, veterans associations, career services, teaching and learning centers, diversity programs, professional organizations) to share ideas and assist in the creation and dissemination of resources to encourage others to help a broader range of students pursue engineering fields and support them in their studies.
- Share strategies for recruiting engineering faculty and administrators to participate in project activities.
- Share successful practices for recruiting students with a broad range of disabilities in engineering programs.
- Discuss how to engage, accommodate, and retain students with a wide range of disabilities in postsecondary engineering studies.
- Share disability-related and universal/accessible design content to be incorporated into senior design and other specific engineering courses.
- Learn about training videos, resources, and publications.
- Identify unmet needs and useful products for the project to develop.
- Provide input for a project video and related online resources.
- Respond to formative results of the project and suggest future activities.
- Share accessibility issues in their engineering courses and departments and brainstorm strategies for improvement.
- Explore strategies for adapting lab-based courses for universal/accessible design.
- Share forums for connecting students to engineers with disabilities in the local community and online.
- Discuss how robotic simulations and other technology can be used to improve access to hands-on educational activities for individuals with disabilities.
- Collaborate in the development of universal/accessible design topics in conference presentations and seminar series.
You and your colleagues can join AccessEngineering CoP by sending the following information to email@example.com:
Position/ Job Title