On this Page
From the WordPress Codex:
A feed is a function of special software that allows feedreaders to access a site, automatically looking for new content and then posting the information about new content and updates to another site. This provides a way for users to keep up with the latest and hottest information posted on different blogging sites.
Because you cannot control the content displayed by outside RSS feeds, you should only use feeds from trusted sources such as partner organizations or other UW sites.
See the WordPress Codex for more in-depth information about WordPress Feeds.
Note: If you wish to display posts from your own site on one of your site pages, the blogroll short code allows for more control and customization.
How to find UW WordPress RSS feeds
You can use RSS feeds that pull posts by category, and tag from any site running the latest version of the UW WordPress theme. Note: In order to find and use a feed, that site must have published blog posts.
To find an RSS feed displaying categories, use the following URL format (edit the bolded parts):
Basic format: http://www.uw.edu/sitename/category/categoryname/feed
Real example: http://www.uw.edu/community/category/uw-news-events/feed
To find an RSS feed displaying tags, use the following URL format (edit the bolded parts):
Basic format: http://www.uw.edu/sitename/tag/tagname/feed
Real example: http://www.uw.edu/news/tag/global-citizens/feed
To find an RSS feed displaying posts from a specific author, use the following URL format (edit the bolded parts):
Basic format: http://www.uw.edu/sitename/author/NetID/feed
Real example: http://www.uw.edu/marketing/author/uweb/feed
How to embed RSS feeds
To embed any RSS feed into a page, use the following short code:
Below are the available attributes that you can use to customize the RSS short code.
|Attribute||Action||Short Code Example|
|title=”TITLE”||A heading for the rss feed that will display on page|
|number=”#”||Number of headlines the feed will display (5 headlines is the default)|
The Healthy Lives Around the Globe page has the following RSS short code embedded:
- UW holds steady at No. 15 in world university ranking2 weeks ago
- Distinguished faculty to be inducted into Washington State Academy of Sciences1 month ago
- Access to electricity is linked to reduced sleep3 months ago
- Early intervention improves long-term outcomes for children with autism3 months ago
- UW among select universities to use investigational Medtronic device, advance research into brain activity5 months ago
- An injectable UW polymer could keep soldiers, trauma patients from bleeding to death6 months ago
- UW leads nation in primary care, rural medicine and family medicine; top 10 in dozens of graduate programs6 months ago
- Advisory council recommends UW medical school expansion in Spokane, increased residencies in rural areas9 months ago