I spent the better part of the week getting Plone 3.3.1 to compile under Ubuntu 9.04. There were some dependency problems and just general wonkiness. The biggest error I received was due to a lack of the Python Imaging Library (PIL). Now that would have been fine except that I installed it via the python-imaging package.
A new campus map, created using Google Maps, is now live. Check it out at www.washington.edu/maps.
Generating and organizing data for the campus maps project is a constant journey. I’ve switched between several XML formats, with interesting results. Finally, I have landed on a blend of formats that gives adequate performance and allows for updating. I’ll probably split the entire process into several posts but here is the start. Originally I used the provided format that the GXml parser can understand.
Connect to UW resources on the go with m.UW for iPhone or iPod touch. The application is available for download via the iPhone App Store.
I ended yesterday with two different success stories communicated with two entirely different systems. The cool part is I did it with a scripts written in python. The first system was SOAP based, the second was REST.