Should my unit have its own Facebook page?
This checklist will help you decide:
- Is your target audience primarily students or young alumni?
- Do you have the resources to monitor the page daily, answer fan questions and update it at least monthly?
- Do you have content that is specific to your unit and doesn’t duplicate content on the UW page?
- Do you have Facebook friends who will become fans of the page and help promote it?
Do you have a strategy for addressing controversies or crises related to your unit that might lead to increased activity on your page? For an example of what can happen, see: http://chronicle.com/article/How-Not-to-Lose-Face-on/24101
How can I use Facebook?
Here are some reasons UWAA, for example, might use Facebook:
- Connect current honors students with mentors.
- Provide a network for honors alumni.
- Alert students to upcoming events and deadlines.
- Foster a more personalized community for students in a place where they’re already spending a lot of time.
- Enhance minority recruitment.
- Drive traffic to key pages on the UWAA Web site.
- Give students another outlet for getting answers to their questions.
OK, I’m in, now what?
- If you aren’t already signed up, join Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/
- Take a look at the UW page to see what types of things you can do: http://www.facebook.com/UofWA
- Create a new Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/create.php
- Also consider sharing content with the UW page (such as videos, photos, events and Facebook applications).
Questions or more info: