Presentation on Veteran Issues
Presenters: Mark Fischer and Peter Schmidt
The content presented included:
- Common injuries veterans are experiencing as a result of recent wars
- How war injuries will affect veterans upon their return to the US
- How the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is preparing for returning veterans
- The role of community colleges in assisting veterans with their transition to civilian and college life
- Suggestions for support systems and other best practices
There are a significant number of veterans experiencing mental health issues related to combat experiences that require our attention. It is important for community college faculty, staff, and administration to be aware of the symptoms and severity of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and head injuries, two common health issues of returning veterans.
A number of resources are available for veterans. However, some veterans choose not to get counseling or help after serving in the military for fear of the stigma associated with mental health issues, including being identified as unfit.