Mentor Tip: Mentoring Guidelines
Send this message to the mentors only.
Subject: Mentoring guidelines
Here are a few guidelines to follow as you begin mentoring the teens in our program.
- Periodically introduce yourself to the group. Share your personal interests, hobbies, academic interests, and career path.
- Read messages and communicate with other mentors and/or protégés at least once per week (time commitment: up to about one hour).
- Engage protégés in conversations. Set the tone and model appropriate interactions.
- Get to know the protégés. What are their personal interests? academic interests? career interests?
- Explore interests with protégés by asking questions, promoting discussion, and pointing to Internet and other resources.
- Facilitate contact between protégés and resources (professors, professionals, service providers, etc.).
- Remember that developing meaningful relationships takes time. Give yourself and the protégés time to get to know one another.
- Encourage protégés to set and reach high goals in education and employment.
- Maintain appropriate, clear boundaries with protégés.
- Never arrange to meet a protégé in person without the approval of program staff and parents. If such a meeting is desired, please share your interest with me at [email address].
- Tell me of any inappropriate email you receive from protégés or mentors and/or inappropriate activities protégés or mentors are involved in.