How can a student with a disability develop college survival skills?
To maximize success in college, encourage students with disabilities to do the following:
- Develop strategies, study skills, and a network of support.
- Always attend class.
- Arrive on time, pay attention, and participate in class discussions and activities.
- Talk to the instructor. Ask questions.
- Complete and check all work. Turn in neat and clear assignments.
- Monitor their own progress. If they begin to fall behind, they should ask for help.
- Stay in contact with the office of disability support services and with professors.
For more information, including advice from successful people with disabilities, consult College Survival Skills.