Publicly communicating your research and sharing your ideas with others are important parts of engaging in academic research.
The Undergraduate Research Conference Travel Award:
- Enables you to extend your research experience by contributing to important discussions of current research at professional conferences
- Provides funding toward national conference travel expenses and registration fees
- Note: This funding is not provided for students to carry out research.
We encourage all students who have a paper, poster, or scholarly creative work that has been accepted for presentation at a professional conference to apply for an award.
Applications for Undergraduate Research Conference Travel Awards are accepted on a rolling basis and are reviewed monthly.
Awards are intended to reimburse students for up to $750 of conference travel-related expenses. Students with high financial need will be considered for an additional $250. Expenses eligible for reimbursement include:
- Conference registration
- Ground transportation
Award amounts may be higher for Mary Gates Scholars and students participating in the Washington Research Foundation Fellowship and Levinson Emerging Scholars Programs.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled UW undergraduates working with a faculty mentor.
- Students working with non-UW faculty mentors are welcome to apply, however priority will be given to students who are working with a UW faculty mentor.
- Acknowledgement of support in the application must come from a faculty mentor to be considered.
- Students must be accepted to present their research at a professional conference and must have an active role in delivering the conference presentation.
- Students are required in the application process to submit a copy of the conference acceptance notification they received.
Note on group projects: Students presenting as a group will need to submit individual applications. If students are applying to present research as part of a group, each student must have a significant, unique contribution to the research and presentation. This award is not intended to support the activities of a student organization.
Funds are limited, and it is encouraged that you submit your application as soon as you are accepted to present your research. We process payments through reimbursement, so you will need to submit at least four weeks prior to your departure date to know your award status before you travel,
Applications must be completed prior to the first day of your conference to be considered for funding. Students may apply once per year, and are eligible for up to two awards, but first-time applicants will be given priority.
Awardees are expected to submit a brief summary statement about their conference experience and to present their research at the UW Undergraduate Research Symposium.
Funding for this program is generously provided by the UW’s Office of Research, the Mary Gates Endowment for Students, UW Bothell, Population Health Initiative, and the Office of Undergraduate Research.