Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

You are welcome to submit your research opportunity on the Research Opportunities Database! Please view our instructions for submitting a posting.

We have outlined various options for funding undergraduate researchers on our faculty funding page.

Yes. For work with humans, visit the Human Subjects Division website. For work with animals, visit the Office of Animal Welfare website.

In many cases, yes. However, under University and Washington State law a minor student is not permitted to work with hazardous substances. Minors ages 14-17 in the laboratory for purposes of education, as volunteer workers, or as employees may not be exposed to agents that pose higher health risks. These risks include such materials as human body fluids, radioactive and hazardous substances, or jobs requiring personal protective equipment other than gloves, boots, eye protection or hard hats.

Yes. However, there are policies and procedures you need to be aware of depending on the student’s enrollment status. If the non-UW student is not receiving academic credit for their work, then they are considered to be a volunteer. UW Risk Services suggests that you send the volunteer an email or memo that outlines duties, dates of service, and confirms the volunteer assignment.

Students are responsible for maintaining their own heath insurance while at the University of Washington. Students who need information about how to obtain insurance can visit this website for more information.

To ensure safe working conditions, all students are required to be trained in proper lab safety and labs must have strict safety protocols and training procedures in place. For more information on research safety, visit the Environmental Health and Safety website.

You are welcome to add a broad, general posting to our Research Opportunities Database. You may wish to simply summarize some of your research interests or project ideas and ask students to contact you if they are interested in pursuing a project. This type of posting is particularly useful for social science, humanities, and arts research where structured positions are less common and undergraduate research proceeds in an independent study model.

Of course! Email with your course title, schedule, and location, and we’ll respond ASAP.