Skip to content

Academic Credit

Before Acceptance into a Major

  • Not in a major yet? You can still earn credit through General Studies 391!
  • Often, students work with their faculty mentor to identify an academic project and can earn 1 credit for every 30 hours of research completed per quarter, pending the faculty mentor’s approval.
  • Application to enroll in GEN ST 391 is available on the UW General Studies website.
  • More information available from Undergraduate Academic Affairs Advising.

After Acceptance into a Major

  • The Office of Undergraduate Research does not issue credit for undergraduate research; however, most students can earn departmental or general studies credit.
  • To learn more about obtaining credit for involvement in research, students should talk to their departmental adviser.
    • Often credit is offered in the form of a 499 course (e.g., Psych 499, Bioen 499, or CHID 499) and can be applied toward requirements for your major.