Summer Study 2020 - Wednesday, July 15
FIXED and Lunch Bunch: During this session, Scholars will share their thoughts about this complex topic and think about some of the ethical implications inherent in new technology. Together online, Scholars will watch the critically-acclaimed movie FIXED: The Science/Fiction of Human Enhancement. After the movie, Scholar groups will assemble in Zoom breakout rooms to answer questions about topics presented in the film.
- Human beings are an incredibly varied bunch. So what does it mean to be “normal?” Why do you think definitions of “normal” vary so greatly?
- If you could change one thing about your body or your abilities, what would you change?
- From botox to bionic limbs, the human body is more “upgradeable” than ever. But how much of it can we alter and still be human? What do we gain or lose in the process?
- If new technologies can enhance human capabilities to make them smarter, faster, etc- how do you think that would change the conversation about being “able-bodied” or “normal” or “disabled?”
Intro to Web Design: In this class, you will:
- Learn some basic web design and development skills.
- Work as part of a team to create the DO-IT Summer Study 2020 website.
- Learn what to expect in this class.
- Meet your instructors.
- Learn about the various teams that contribute toward developing a website.
- Learn about the individual roles on each team.