Summer Study 2012 - Tuesday, July 24
Breakfast (McMahon Hall Cafeteria, Down to Dining Level, Ground Floor)
Phase I: Meet in McMahon Hall Main Entrance Lobby (3rd Floor) to walk to Johnson Hall, Room 175.
Phase II: Meet in McCarty Entrance Lobby (3rd Floor, Lobby Level) to depart for Phase II Workshops.
Phase I: Web Design (Johnson Hall, Room 175) Terry Thompson, DO-IT Technology Specialist
- Collaborate with other Phase I Scholars to create the 2012 Scholar web pages.
Phase II Workshops:
- Responding to Natural Disasters (Mary Gates Hall, Room 284) Julie Peddy, Program Manager, NOAA
- Disability and the Media! By Reel Grrls strong> (off campus at Reel Grrls Studio) Monica Olsson, Outreach and Access Coordinator, Reel Grrls
- Exploratory Neurobiology: Bugs, Mice and Brains! (Kincaid Hall, Room 248) Martha Bosma, Associate Professor, Biology, University of Washington
Phase I: Snack Break (Outside Johnson Hall, Room 111)
Phase I: Seismology Lab (Atmospheric Sciences - Geophysics Building, Room 146) Doug Gibbons, UW Earth and Space Sciences - Pacific Northwest Seismic Network
- Shake, Rattle AND ROLL! Ever wondered how earthquakes are measured? Rumble on in and let's find out.
Phase II: Open Computer Lat (Optional) (Johnson Hall, Room 175)
- If you need to polish up your resume or put the finishing touches on your Phase II project, now's the time!
Phase I & II: Lunch (By George, Odegaard Undergraduate Library, Lower Level)
- Visiting with friends over lunch
Phase I & II: Accessibility Assessment w/ MESA Materials (CNT Building, Second Floor) Sheryl Burgstahler, DO-IT Program Director and Phyllis Harvey-Buschel, Government Relations/Curriculum Director, Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity
- Try out a "Math Engineering Science Achievement" (MESA) activity and learn about accessibility for students with various disabilities.
Phase I & II: Snack Break (CNT Building)
Phase I: Staying Connected (CNT Building, Second Floor) Sheryl Burgstahler, DO-IT Program Director
- Check-in and chat about DO-IT workshops, assignments, daily events, Ambassadors, internships, and questions and answer.
Phase I & II: CNT (CNT Building, Room Second Floor) Eric Chudler, Ph.D., Associate Professor and Lise Johnson, Ph.D. Senior Fellow, Center for Neurotechnology
- Learn how scientists are working on communications between the human brain and a wide variety of computer devices!
Phase I & II: Dinner (McMahon Hall Cafeteria, Down to Dining Level, Ground Floor)
Phase I & II: Meet in front of McMahon Hall to depart for the Physics Astronomy Building.
Phase I & II: Spaced Out! (Physics Astronomy Building A, 2nd Floor) Phil Rosenfield, Astronomy Graduate Student, University of Washington
- Explore the night sky and our solar system.
Evening Dorm Activities / Go To Bed
- Outdoor sports activities (Meet in McCarty Hall Main Entrance Lobby, 3rd Floor, Lobby Level to go to Denny Field outside across from McCarty Hall).
- Visiting, board games, crafts & more (McCarty Hall Main Entrance Lobby or McCarty Library).
- Relax in your room to store up energy for another busy day tomorrow.
Flush and Brush!
- Time to finish up your evening routine and head to your room.
Goodnight! All Scholars must be in their rooms in McCarty Hall.