Summer Study 2011 - Monday, July 18
Breakfast (McMahon Hall Cafeteria, Down to Dining Level, Ground Floor)
Phase I: Meet in McMahon Hall Main Entrance Lobby (3rd Floor) to walk to Johnson Hall, Room 111.
Phase II: Meet in McCarty Entrance Lobby (3rd Floor, Lobby Level) to depart for Phase II Workshops.
Disability Identity (Johnson Hall, Room 111) Ann Luetzow, UW student and Monica Olsson, UW student
- Learn about the exciting new field of disability studies – an academic field that combines social, cultural, historical, political, legal and educational perspectives.
Phase II Workshops:
- Germ Forensics! (Hitchcock Hall, Room 343) Beth Solan, SBRI BioQuest Instructor
Bring laptop and put laptops in Johnson 111 at end of workshop.
- Lights. Camera. ACTION! DX Arts Creative Video Lab (Raitt Hall, Room 129) Tivon Rice, Teaching Assistant, Digital Arts and Experimental Media, University of Washington
- Exploratory Neurobiology: Bugs, Mice and Brains! (Kincaid Hall, Room 248) Martha Bosma, Associate Professor, Biology, University of Washington
Phase I: Snack Break (Hall, Room 111)
Phase I: Web Design (Johnson Hall, Room 111) Terry Thompson, DO-IT Technology Specialist
- Collaborate with other Phase I Scholars to create the 2011 Scholar web pages.
Phase I & II: Lunch (By George, Odegaard Undergraduate Library, Lower Level)
- Visiting with friends over lunch
Phase I: Arduino Platform/Programming (Johnson Hall, Room 111) Kyle Rector, Graduate Student, UW Computer Science and Engineering
- Programming the computer to activate and operate switches, lights, and more!
Phase II: Our Take on Intake (Odegaard, Room 220) Michael Richardson and Britt Neff, Disability Resources for Students, University of Washington, Barbara Oswald and Anne Carpenter, Disability Resource Center, Bellevue College
- Learn about the intake process for students with disabilities in postsecondary education.
Phase I & II: Snack Break (Odegaard, Room 220)
Phase I & II: College Life - What Helps and Where to Find It (Odegaard, Room 220) Tami Tidwell, DO-IT Program Coordinator
- Talk to your fellow Scholars and Mentors about helpful accommodations and how to get them in college and beyond.
Phase I & II: Dinner (McMahon Hall Cafeteria, Down to Dining Level, Ground Floor)
Phase I & II: Meet in front of McCarty Hall to depart for the Tour de UW.
Phase I & II: Tour de UW (Parking Lot C-10 near Anderson Hall)
- Feel the wind rushing through your eyelashes! Find your adventurous soul.
- We have the bicycle for you – modified to fit your every need by Outdoors For All!
Evening Dorm Activities / Go To Bed
- Outdoor sports activities (Meet in McCarty Hall Main Entrance Lobby, 3rd Floor, Lobby Level to go to Denny Field outside across from McCarty Hall).
- Visiting, board games, crafts & more (McCarty Hall Main Entrance Lobby or McCarty Library).
- Relax in your room to store up energy for another busy day tomorrow.
Flush and Brush!
- Time to finish up your evening routine and head to your room.
Goodnight! All Scholars must be in their rooms in McCarty Hall.