Summer Study 1997 - Tuesday, August 12
On Tuesday the 12th of August, we started with the Phase II Scholars going to their special workshops. Phase I Scholars went to an astronomy lab where they learned how far stars are away from the planet earth. Then they went to a lab to do bypass surgery on a sheep heart. The biggest story of that lab was Justin ripped off a sheep heart. When we all came back for lunch we got to meet the members of the DO-IT Advisory Board. Danny Delcombre was a speaker for us. Danny Delcombre talked about how you can never give up no matter what disability you have. Danny is deaf and blind. His speech was voiced by a sign language interpreter. The Phase II'ers listened to Darin & Julie talk about interviewing strategies. they practiced their skits with employers. At the same time Phase I had an on-line treasure hunt. After that we ate pizza, talked to Mentors, & listened to the Trench Coats. Finally we had our evening activities.
Breakfast (HUB Husky Den)
Open Computer Lab (HUB 106B)
Leave from HUB 106B to go to Physics-Astronomy Building.
"Light and Color" (Physics-Astronomy Building 210) Woody Sullivan, Professor, Astronomy Department
Phase II Workshops
- Genetics Research (Fluke Hall 235)
Patrick Stayton, Cyndi Long
- Technical Communication (Loew Hall 19)
- Game of Life (Sieg Hall 228)
Snack Break (outside Mechanical Engineering Building 249)
Get to the Heart of It! (Mechanical Engineering Building 249), Laurie Clark, Science Instructor
- Perform heart surgery and replace a valve for a needy sheep.
Lunch - "If I Can, You Can" (HUB 108)
- Guest Speaker: Danny Delcombre, owner of the Ragin Cajun restaurant.
- The world's first Deaf Blind person to own and operate a restaurant!
- Danny, a professional speaker, business owner and chef, will make his presentation in American Sign Language, and be interpreted by a voice interpreter.
Internet Scavenger Hunt (HUB 106B)
- Use your new search skills in a fun Internet Hunt.
- If you and a partner are the best hunters, you'll win a prize!
Snack Break (HUB Husky Den)
Make a choice:
- Open Computer Lab (HUB 106B)
- Discussion Group (HUB Husky Den, near 106B)
- Sign Language Group (HUB Husky Den, near 106B)
Phase II: You Can DO-IT! (HUB 108) Interviewing Strategies
- Darin Stageberg, Julie Smallman
!!DO-IT Mentor/Ambassador Night!! (HUB 200ABC) Pizza for all!
- What's a Mentor? What's an Ambassador? - Sheryl Burgstahler
- Trench Coats
McCarty Dorm Activity Options:
- Volleyball (Meet in McCarty Lobby)
- Games (McCarty Entrance Lounge)
- Video (McCarty Small Lounge)
All Scholars must be in their rooms at McCarty Residence Hall.