30 Ways DO-IT Is Changing The World... And How You Can Help
Promoting Best Practices, Such As...
- The understanding of intersecting identities and their impact on peoples’ experiences.
- Inclusive learning environments.
- Access to empowering technology.
- Accessible online learning.
- Accessible conferences, meetings, and events.
- Accessibility topics within computing and engineering curriculum.
- The view that disability is one aspect of the diverse human experience.
- Demonstrating accessible science equipment.
Helping Set High Expectations
- Expecting people with disabilities to excel.
- Teaching parents to set high expectations for students with disabilities.
- Advocating for accessibility of websites, documents, and software.
- Captioning videos and encouraging others to do the same.
- Spreading the word about disability-friendly businesses, events, and spaces.
- Advancing universal design of instruction, physical spaces, technology, and services.
Ensuring Disabled Voices are Centered
- Listening to the concerns of people with disabilities.
- Involving people with disabilities when decisions impact their lives.
- Identifying future leaders with disabilities.
- Highlighting success stories of people with disabilities.
- Hiring people with disabilities as staff and interns.
- Partnering with employers to encourage the hiring of individuals with disabilities.
- Providing resources to precollege and postsecondary educators.
- Sharing the history of the disability civil rights movement.
- Connecting stakeholders through regional and national workshops.
- Hosting college-preparation camps for youth with disabilities.
- Connecting individuals with disabilities to mentors and facilitating their engagement.
- Educating people about legal mandates for access.
- Discussing disability portrayal in the media and how it could be more accurate.
- Creating and sharing videos about equal access.
- Bringing to light the harm created by the use of hurtful and discriminatory language.
- Publishing best practices for others to replicate.
And How You Can Help
There are many ways you can help change the world for people with disabilities. Adapting any of DO-IT’s 30 ways is a great place to start. We offer advice, resources, partnerships, communities, replication packages, and more, all findable through our website. We also collaborate with many other organizations locally, nationally, and worldwide: If we don’t have the option you’re looking for, we may be connected to someone who does.
Here are some resources to get you started: