Skip to content

UW Student Abroad Insurance

International SOS and Cigna Insurance

Emergency assistance is provided through International SOS. For specific questions, consult the International SOS FAQs or reach out at

Learn More about Your Coverage


2023 Insurance Information – Contacting CISI

CISI coverage overview

      • 24/7 call center available at 877.714.8179 (toll-free) or 603.952.2660 (accepts Collect calls)
      • Email to modify your existing enrollment in UW Student Abroad Insurance plan.
      • Note that students traveling in 2024, this insurance information does not apply to you. See upcoming changes in insurance and information about International SOS here.

Plan coverage


      • Treatment outside of your country of residence for injuries or illnesses that occur abroad.
      • Medical or security evacuation or repatriation, that is authorized by International SOS.

Not covered:

      • Loss arising from participation in professional sports, scuba diving, hang gliding, parachuting, skydiving, or bungee jumping. If you plan to engage in these activities abroad, please contact your UW Study Abroad adviser.
      • Elective medical care includes dental care, routine physical exams, and routine eye exams.

Additional information

UW International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP)

ISHIP and international coverage

            • For students on F-1 and J-1 visas, this plan provides limited coverage for care worldwide and limited medical evacuation services.
            • ISHIP is more expensive than the UW Student Abroad Insurance plan and provides coverage outside the US on a reimbursement basis only. With ISHIP, you must pay up-front for care, then file a claim with the insurer when you return to the U.S.
              If you will be returning to the U.S. in the middle of the quarter or have dependents staying in the U.S. while you are studying abroad, consider purchasing both plans to prevent gaps in coverage.
            • If you have other special considerations and need to discuss coverage coordination, please email the International Health Insurance Counselor to discuss your options.

Requesting a waiver if you have ISHIP

            • In most cases, we strongly recommend that ISHIP students also purchase the students abroad insurance plan for the period of their study abroad. However, in certain cases, ISHIP alone could be an appropriate option. Students with ISHIP that would like to waive the students abroad insurance requirement must submit a waiver. Waivers will be considered on a case-by-case basis.