What are key issues regarding IT accessibility in higher education?
Many key issues regarding IT accessibility have surfaced in legal resolutions and settlements involving higher education institutions and technology accessibility including:
- Definition of “Accessible”
- Accessibility Audit and Corrective Action Strategy
- Training and Education
- Learning Management Systems
- Classroom Technologies (Podiums, Display Equipment, and “Clickers”)
- Banks and ATMs
- Grievance Procedure
- Ownership of Accessibility
The University of Washington maintains a web page on legal cases by issue on which they describe in further detail the key issues listed above that have surfaced in legal resolutions and settlements involving higher education institutions and technology accessibility. For each issue, a few example cases are identified in which that issue is addressed. Each case is linked to the UW Resolution Agreements and Lawsuits page, where additional information is provided about the case.