Summer Study 2004 - Monday, August 9
Breakfast (McMahon Hall Cafeteria, Ground Floor, Dining Level)
Open Computer Lab (Optional) (HUB Room 106B, 1st Floor)
Phase II: Meet in McCarty Entrance Lobby (3rd Floor, Lobby Level) to depart for Phase II Workshops.
Know Your Style, Know Yourself (HUB Room 106B, 1st Floor) Lyla Crawford, DO-IT Program Coordinator
- Explore your learning styles and interests.
Phase II Workshops:
- The Game of Life and Image Processing (Paul Allen CSE Building, Room 002) Richard Ladner, Computer Science Professor, University of Washington
- Virtual Veggies! An Augmented Reality Workshop (215 Fluke Hall, 2nd Floor) Suzanne Weghorst, Human Interface Technology Lab, University of Washington
- Where in the World? Geographic Information and Global Positioning Systems (HUB 200ABC, 2nd floor) Mike Dedman. National Parks Service
- Spaced Out! The Ever-changing Solar System (Physics Astronomy Building A210; 2nd floor; building A) Chris Laws, Astronomy Graduate Student
Snack Break (Outside HUB Room 108, 1st Floor)
BIOHAND Workshop (HUB Room 108, 1st Floor) Tekie Mehary, UW Department of Bioengineering
- Become a bioengineer for a day and create a Biohand.
- See a demonstration of biomaterials that are implantable in the body.
Lunch (HUB Food Court, Ground Floor)
- Visiting (outside HUB 1st Floor)
- Open Computer Lab (HUB Room 106B, 1st Floor)
Know Your Style, Know Yourself Part II (HUB Room 108, 1st Floor) Lyla Crawford, DO-IT Program Coordinator
- Learn how to apply the learning styles and interests you identified this morning to succeed in school and your career.
Phase II: Resumes (HUB 106B, 1st Floor) Tami Tidwell, DO-IT Program Coordinator
- Bring your most current resume. We will add some polish, make updates and finish with a document that will dazzle any future employer.
Snack Break (Outside HUB Room 106B, 1st Floor)
Web Design (HUB Room 106B, 1st Floor) Terry Thompson, DO-IT Technology Specialist
- Collaborate with other Phase I Scholars to create the 2004 Scholar web page and customize your page.
Phase II: National Park Service (HUB Room 108, 1st Floor) Anne Doherty Education Program Manager & Acting Outreach Coordinator, Mount Rainier National Park
- Learn about the mission and system of the National Park Service and about the wide variety of careers that exist in this exciting field.
Dinner (McMahon Hall Cafeteria, Ground Floor, Dining Level)
Get a HIT of Tomorrow's Technology! (215 Fluke Hall), Suzanne Weghorst, Director, Interface Development
- Join your assigned group for a tour of the UW Human Interface Technology Lab
- Group 1 Meet in the McCarty Hall Main Entrance Lounge at 6:15
- Group 2 Meet in the McCarty Hall Main Entrance Lounge at 7:15.
Phase II: Open Computer Lab (HUB Room 106B, 1st Floor)
Evening Dorm Activities
- Outdoor sports activities (Meet in McCarty Hall Main Entrance Lounge, 3rd Floor, Lobby Level to go to Denny Field outside across from McCarty Hall).
- Visiting, board games, video games, crafts & more (McCarty Hall Main Entrance Lounge or McCarty Library).
- Relax in your room to store up energy for another busy day tomorrow.
Flush and Brush!
- Time to finish up your evening routine and head to your room by 11:00.
Goodnight! All Scholars must be in their rooms in McCarty Hall.