(Modified from Washington MESA In The Pharmacy Curriculum)
Students will increase understanding of the concepts of part-to-part and part-to-whole ratios. They will also apply sorting and tabulating skills.
- Carefully open your bag of M&M'S and count how many you have, and how many of each color. Complete the table below:
Color Red (R) Orange (O) Yellow (Y) Green (G) Blue (Bl) Brown (Br) TOTAL (TOT) Number
- Write the following ratios:
R to O ______ G to R ______ Bl to O ______
R to Y ______ O to Bl ______ G to Y ______
R to G ______ Br to Y ______ O to Br ______
R to Bl ______ Y to G ______ Y to R ______
R to Br ______ Bl to Br ______ Br to Bl ______
- Is R to G the same as G to R? Explain.
- Compile the data from everyone in your group on the following table.
Color Red (R) Orange (O) Yellow (Y) Green (G) Blue (Bl) Brown (Br) TOTAL (TOT) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL
- Write the following part-to-whole ratios:
R to TOTAL ______ (R + O) to TOTAL ______
O to TOTAL ______ (G + Br) to TOTAL ______
G to TOTAL ______ (B + R + G) to TOTAL _____
Bl to TOTAL ______ (Bl + O + Y) to TOTAL ______
Y to TOTAL ______ (Y + Bl + Br + G) to TOTAL ______
Br to TOTAL ______ (R + O + Y + G + Br + Bl) to TOTAL ______