Mentor Tip: Problem Solving
Send this message to the mentors only.
Subject: Mentoring tips on problem solving
The ability to solve problems is a crucial skill in leading a self-determined life. As a mentor you have the opportunity to model this important skill for our protégés. You can use the following process to help protégés learn to identify and solve problems.
- Identify or clarify the problem. Be specific. Sometimes what seems like one problem is actually two or more separate problems. Focus on one at a time.
- Outline several possible solutions to the problem. Consider positive and negative aspects of each.
- Identify the best solution.
- Identify steps to implement your solution.
- Implement your solution, making adjustments as necessary.
- Review the final outcome. Analyze why or why not your solution worked and what you learned from the experience.