E-Community Activity: Learning From Experiences
Send this message to the e-community of protégés and mentors.
Subject: Learning from experiences
Successful people learn from their experiences. Once an action is taken, they evaluate the outcome, and, regardless of whether the outcome is positive or negative, they ask what they can learn from the experience that will increase opportunities for success in the future. A few strategies that contribute to successful learning from experiences are the following:
- Reflect on the experience and take with you those things that can help you reach higher levels of success in the future.
- Compare the outcome of the experience with what you expected. If they are different, analyze why. What can you learn? How will you move forward?
- Compare your performance to your expected performance. If they are different, analyze why. How can you continue to improve your performance in similar activities?
- Celebrate success internally and externally.
- Learn from both successes and failures/setbacks.
- Make adjustments in order to increase your chances for success in the future.
Select one of the strategies listed above and tell about how you have applied it or can apply it in the future.