E-Community Activity: Creating Win-Win Solutions
Send this message to the e-community of protégés and mentors.
Subject: Creating win-win solutions
Although not all issues are negotiable, many conflicts can be solved so that both parties "win" something they want. The following steps can be taken in order to reach a win-win resolution.
- You ask the other person to say what they think and how they feel about the issue. Actively listen to make sure you are understanding the other person's point of view.
- You use assertive communication and "I" statements; tell how you think and feel about the issue.
- Each person thinks about ways to solve the problem so that both people "win."
- Both people state ideas for solving the problem.
- Together, the two people find a solution that is agreeable to both and make plans to implement it. (Field & Hoffman, 1996, p. 180-181)
Describe a situation you have experienced where a problem or conflict between you and a parent, sibling, teacher, or friend was resolved in a win-win conclusion.