E-Community Activity: Affirming Success
Send this message to the e-community of protégés and mentors.
Subject: Affirming success
Read each of the following statements and think about whether it applies to you now.
- Life is good.
- I don't let others inhibit my dreams.
- I'm an expert on my disability and/or learning challenges, how they impact my life, and what accommodations work for me.
- My disability is only one aspect of who I am.
- My disability does not dictate my goals.
- I have control over the most important aspects of my life.
- I make independent decisions for myself.
- Just because I fail at one thing does not mean I am a failure.
- I use technology to maximize my success.
- I know what I need and when to ask for help.
- I value my friendships.
- I see the humor in life experiences.
Give one example of what you can do to make one of these statements stronger in your life. Tell how a parent, a guardian, a teacher, or another person you know could help you make this statement stronger in your life and how you can obtain their assistance.