Why should a company hire a person with a disability?
A good reason a business should hire a person with a disability is because the individual is a good match for a specific business need. In an article called Employing, Serving All Equitably: The Nordstrom Way, the author points out, "You may not have the very best person in the job if you didn't recruit any disabled job candidates."
Other advantages to hiring a person with a disability may include:
- insights into how to serve customers with disabilities.
- greater diversity at the work site so that a wide variety of perspectives are utilized when solving problems.
- high productivity; consult Assisting the disabled: A good management decision .
- higher retention rate for workers.
- benefit to public, media and community relations.
- tax incentives; for more information, visit Are there Tax Incentives for Hiring People with Disabilities?
The DO-IT publication Finding Gold: Hiring the Best and the Brightest offers further information on this topic. For more information regarding possible financial incentives visit Financial Incentives for Hiring People with Disabilities.
Last update or review: January 18, 2013