Undergraduate Research Program

Academic Credit

The Undergraduate Research Program does not issue credit for undergraduate research; however, most students can earn departmental or general studies credit.

To find out the best way to obtain credit for your involvement in research, talk to your departmental adviser. Most often, this is offered in the form of a 499 course (e.g., Psych 499, Bioen 499, and CHID 499) and can be applied toward requirements for your major. Additionally, if you are involved in research with another department, ask if you can earn credit through that department.

If you are not yet in a major, you may earn credit through General Studies 391. In most cases, you work with your faculty mentor to identify an academic project and can earn 1 credit for every 30 hours of research completed per quarter, pending your faculty mentor’s approval. The application to enroll in GEN ST 391 is available on the UW General Studies website. Schedule an appointment with an Undergraduate Academic Affairs Advisor for more information.