The Office of Global Affairs is a central organizational hub at the University of Washington. We connect diverse internal and external networks of scholars, students and community leaders engaging in international issues and scholarship.
We collaborate with other central administrative units such as Global Operations Support, the Graduate School, Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Student Life and the Office of Research to develop and enhance policies and procedures supporting international education, research and service programs.
Our Global Innovation Fund seeds initiatives and programs developing cross-college and cross-continent collaborations that enhance the UW’s global reach. GIF awards provide initial seed funding for faculty research proposals, leading-edge student experiences and collaborations aligned with the University’s strategic regional priorities.
We support the international activities and academic goals of UW departments, schools and colleges by:
- Responding to inquiries about the University of Washington from potential international partners
- Identifying and contacting relevant UW administrative and academic units to gauge their interest in connecting with potential international partners visiting the UW
- Advising administrative and academic units in responding to queries from potential international partners
Creating international opportunities for students
UW Study Abroad is comprised of international educators dedicated to the promotion and facilitation of global education opportunities. UW Study Abroad manages international exchange partnerships with host universities, offers several hundred unique and engaging study abroad experiences and sends more than 2600 UW students abroad each year. More than 400 of those students receive scholarships to support their experience. We also welcome 300+ exchange students to the UW community annually.
Fostering safe travel
- We provide travel registration services to students, faculty and staff of UW’s Seattle, Bothell and Tacoma campuses. Visit UW Global Travel to learn more.
- The OGA Global Travel Security Manager monitors overseas travel and responds to overseas emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, offering emergency assistance to UW travelers.
- OGA coordinates the International Travel Risk Assessment and Safety Committee (ITRASC) to advise the Provost on health and safety issues related to international travel.
Maintaining overseas facilities
OGA manages the UW Rome Center, an instructional and support facility in historic Palazzo Pio, provides studios, classrooms, accommodations and other facilities to visiting UW students and faculty.