Husky Promise® Home FAQ Mission Statement Contact Us

Grants and Scholarships

The Office of Student Financial Aid offers grant and scholarship opportunities to graduate and professional students. These funds are awarded to Washington resident students on the basis of financial need. The Graduate Tuition Exemption and Graduate University Grant programs are for students in state-funded programs. These grants are not available to students in fee-based programs.

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides federal grants for students who teach as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. If the teaching requirement is not fulfilled, this grant converts to an unsubsidized loan you must repay. If you are in a major that leads directly to an initial teaching certificate and are interested in this program, please visit the Teach Grant site to review the details of this program.

There are also a few scholarship programs from private donors awarded by our office. It is important to complete the FAFSA application by our priority deadline in case you could be eligible for any of these grant and scholarship programs.

Please remember these are not the only sources of grant or scholarship assistance available to graduate and professional students at the University of Washington. The Graduate School and your academic department are the primary sources for this type of funding at the UW. Please check with these two sources directly for additional assistance.

Graduate and Funding Information System (GFIS) is a joint project of the Graduate School and the UW Libraries to assist in the search for general research funding. Information is available on the ground floor of Suzzallo Library, near the reference desk and online at:

If you are attending from another state, be sure and check with your home state regarding the availability of state grants.

If you are a graduate student at University of Washington-Bothell or University of Washington-Tacoma, please visit these sites for more information about scholarship opportunities.