Student Financial Aid

HB 1079 / Real Hope

Who is eligible for HB 1079?

Under the Real Hope Act, some undocumented or HB 1079 students may be eligible to receive financial aid through need-based state aid (State Need Grant).  To qualify for HB 1079 status, you must meet the following conditions:

  1. Completed your senior year of high school and obtained a high school diploma at a Washington public or private high school or received the equivalent of a diploma
  2. Lived in Washington for at least three calendar years (36 months) immediately prior to receiving your diploma or its equivalent
  3. Continuously lived in the state of Washington after receiving your diploma or its equivalent and until such time as you are admitted to an institution of higher education
  4. Will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest possible opportunity and engage in any other activities necessary to acquire citizenship

How to apply for financial aid as an HB 1079 student

  • Complete the WASFA between October 1, 2016 and by the UW’s priority filing date of January 15, 2017 to be considered for financial aid during the 2017-18 school year. This is a yearly application process that needs to be completed each year you are attending the UW.
    HB 1079 students who have Social Security numbers have the option of completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) instead. It is not necessary to complete both the FAFSA and the WASFA; however, you must notify the financial aid office if you decide to complete only the FAFSA.

    Late applicants – you are considered a late applicant if you file your WASFA or FAFSA after the priority date of January 15, 2017. As a result, you will not be considered for financial aid. However, you may still want to complete this application if you are applying for other types of aid such as UW departmental scholarships or other outside resources.

    For the current 2016-17 school year, you are a late applicant if you filed or will file your 2016-17 WASFA after February 28, 2016. Please contact the Office of Student Financial aid. We will do our best to provide assistance.

  • Complete the Affidavit of Residency form and submit it to UW’s Residency Office.
    Because the UW strongly suggests that students turn in this affidavit at the time they apply for admissions, the Residency Office may already have this form on file for you. If you are not sure if you turned in this form already, you can contact the Residency Office at 206.543.5932. They are located in Schmitz Hall (Room 264) at 1410 NE Campus Parkway, Seattle, WA 98195.
  • Respond as soon as possible to any document requests or correspondence we send you – the UW’s Office of Student Financial Aid manages all aid programs included under the WASFA. In some cases, the information you provide on your aid application may require verification.
    Should we require additional information or documentation from you, we will let you know via email. It is important, therefore, to set up your UW email account as soon as you can. Your file will be considered incomplete and your aid will be unavailable for disbursement until the requested information or documents are received and reviewed.

Helpful Links