An international student is a non-resident alien on a non-immigrant visa which permits full time study in the United States. A student must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen (permanent resident) to receive federal financial aid.

Federal regulations and University of Washington policy severely limit the types of financial assistance available to international students. University admissions policies require that students with F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, and G-series visas have enough resources to meet their expenses throughout their stay at the UW; students with these visas are not eligible for federal student aid.

Students should search their own country’s banks, embassy and/or ministry of education as they may offer additional information about other financial aid opportunities and loan programs. The UW International Student Services office┬áprovides further resources for financial assistance.

International students attending the Seattle Campus may apply for the University’s Family Housing or Child Care Assistance Program.