New Experiences in Ghana

by Kamaria Carnes

Today was very full and eventful. We visited the burial of Ghana’s first President, W.E.B Dubois’ house and a museum that featured the history of the people who have inhabited Ghana. It was interesting to see how closely tied our country’s history is to Ghanaian history—there were definitely a lot of things I didn’t know. The highlight of the day for me was the time we spent at the market in Accra, the capital of Ghana. We had been warned about the culture of the market and taught briefly about the art of bargaining and bartering, but none of the practice and advice could prepare us for what really happened at the market. Everything is super hectic – because I look foreign, people were grabbing my arms while others are talking to me persuading me to come visit their stores. The sales people have different tactics in getting you to buy their products, including playing with your emotions. The entire experience was a little draining, but nevertheless rewarding and exciting.

Ghanian market
Just a small part of the market. It was huge!
group members with souvenirs
Some of the group with items they bought at the market.

Because we were away for the day from Kokrobitey Institute where we normally have our meals, I was a little hesitant about our packed lunches and what we were having for dinner. But I was not disappointed! We got the chance to try Fufu, a dish that is a favorite among many Ghanaians. Fufu is a boiled yam, cassava or plantain that is mashed into dough that is then dipped into a soup. It was one of my favorites!

Fardowsa and Kamaria at lunch
Fardowsa and Kamaria at lunch.
food from local Ghanian restaurant
We ate Ghanaian food for dinner at a local restaurant. Yum!

Back to the Blog