Meet Barbados Blogger Danny Herrera

by Danny Herrera

My name is Danny Herrera and I am currently a senior at the University of Washington majoring in American ethnic studies with a minor in Education, Learning, and Society. I was born and raised in Yakima, Washington, and graduated from A.C. Davis High School in 2009. I am Mexican American and a first-generation college student. On campus I am a member of the Latino Student Union and Omega Delta Phi Fraternity Inc. Currently I am working on applying to graduate programs to receive my Elementary Masters in Teaching. The OMA&D student blog is the first blog I have ever participated in and I believe it will be a great learning experience.

My life-changing study abroad experience in Tahiti last summer, where I got to learn about the Polynesian culture and where I was introduced to the Tahitian saying, “Maeve I Te Ora” which translates to “Welcome to life,” really helped me break out of my shell and find my true identity. The program was through the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity and I decided to go on another study abroad, where I could explore a whole new culture. I wanted to do another program through the OMA&D because of the environment it built abroad and it was led by a faculty member in OMA&D. As an American ethnic studies major, I am glad to be part of this study abroad to Barbados, where I will get to explore a majority-Black country with a rich Black culture. In Barbados, I will also explore many topics of Black Cultural Studies and it will be captured through pictures/videos, micro blogging, and our encounters with the locals.

My journey begins with me packing all the things I will need abroad including my camcorder, “Behind the Smile” book, and an open mind/heart.

Back to the Blog