Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get in contact with a Financial Aid counselor during the winter break?

You can get in contact with our Financial Aid counselors by calling 206-543-6101 during our phone service hours:

Monday & Friday

10:00am – 3:00pm

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday

Noon – 3:00pm


January 17th:
Closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day

You can also reach a financial aid counselor by email using our contact form. If you have questions regarding our processing time, or email response time, please see our current processing times on this page.

In-person advising in the financial aid office remains suspended.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work hard to provide the best financial aid support and services while maintaining the health and safety of our staff, students, and the UW community.

Why hasn't my financial aid disbursed/paid?

Here are the most common reasons for aid not disbursing:

    • You are not full time. (12 or more credits for undergraduates, 10 or more credits for graduates)
    • You received private aid that was not reported to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
    • You did not meet Satisfactory Academic progress (See links: Undergraduate | Graduate)
    • Loans: If your loans have not disbursed it may be the above reasons or you may not have completed the required forms or entrance counseling for the loan programs.

MyUW shows a hold on my account, what does that mean?

Holds prevent aid from disbursing to you for a variety of reasons. Usually, holds are placed because we are missing requested documentation, or you may not have completed enough credits in the previous quarter or prior academic year. There is information about the type of holds on your MyUW account under financial aid status and you are welcome to contact us with any remaining questions about how to resolve the hold(s) on your aid. It is also important to continually check your UW email, as we will also notify you there in regards to the paperwork we need from you.

We did the FAFSA and accepted our Parent PLUS Loan, what is the next step?

Your parent will need to go to and log-in using their own name, SSN, DOB and their own FSA Id. Next, they must click on “Request Direct Plus Loan”, and then “Parent PLUS”. Complete the 4 step application process. For more detailed information regarding the Parent Loan request process, click here for a checklist that you can print out. For additional FAQs regarding the Parent PLUS loans, please see this page.

What can I do if my income or my family’s income has changed due to COVID-19?

We understand this is a challenging and difficult time and there is much uncertainty right now. We are here to help. If you are experiencing a change in your or your family’s income, please let us know by providing additional information about your situation.

For the 2021-22 academic year, if your parent(s) are experiencing a change in their financial situation as a result of COVID-19, please have them complete the Revision Request for Change in Financial Situation COVID-19 Impact.

If you (or your spouse) are experiencing a change in your financial situation as a result of COVID-19, please provide additional information using the Revision Request for Change in Financial Situation. You can indicate that the nature of the change is due to COVID-19.

All our forms for the 2021-22 academic year can be found on our forms page.

What is the best way to submit documents that were requested by the Financial Aid Office?

If you received a request for additional information, please use the link to the form in the email. If you are submitting additional documentation you can upload in a secure manner by using our form “Information Update”. It can be found under General on our forms page.

Is there Emergency Aid available to students impacted by the COVID19 pandemic?

Yes, the UW has an emergency aid program. More information and the emergency aid request form can be found at Our emergency aid team will respond to your request within 7-10 business days and offer options for assistance.


More answers to frequently asked questions can be found here. If these FAQ’s do not help address your question, then please contact us. For up-to-date campus information, visit