Department of Comparative Medicine

Aquatic Animals

Purchasing Aquatic Animals

Aquatic Animals Not Ordered by Animal Purchasing: Submit the order request via the AOps system. In the section for “Special Ordering Instructions”; please type: Do Not Order Animals. Debit Animal Numbers on Protocol Only.

Ordering from Approved Vendors: Submit the request via the “Order Animals” command in AOps

Transferring Aquatic Animals

Transfer of Aquatic Animals from Western Fisheries to UW Protocol: Submit an approved vendor order via the AOps System. In the “Special ordering instructions” section please type: Do Not Order Animals. Debit Animal Numbers on Protocol Only.

Transfer of Aquatic Animals Between UW Protocols: Use the “Transfer/Export” command in AOps from the source protocol.

Importing Aquatic Animals to the University of Washington

  1. Complete the order submission via AOps.
  2. Please include the following “Supporting Documents” after pressing submit in AOps:
  • Indicate the common name plus genus and species of the fish embryos you are requesting so that we can assist you in determining if there are any federal or state importation regulations that will require you to obtain the necessary permits from various agencies.
  • If the facility is sending ONLY disinfected (bleached or iodophor treated) eggs:
    • we will need a written document from the originating facility/colony stating when the eggs were disinfected (date), with what disinfectant, at what concentration or percentage of disinfectant in solution, and the length of contact time of the eggs to the disinfectant.
  • If the facility is sending live post-hatched larval fish
    • We will need a document from the originating facility including the colony’s past history of disease diagnosis and any treatments performed, the colony’s importation quarantine procedures, the current health status of the colony, the animals spawned to produce the larvae, and the larvae.
    • This information should also be attached to the health certificate signed and dated by their veterinarian to accompany the shipment container.

Exporting Aquatic AnimalsDO NOT USE AOps!

  1. Once the Receiving Institution has approved this export and an estimated shipping date is provided, submit a completed Aquatic Animal Health Certificate Request by e-mail attachment to Veterinary Services. Please make sure that the document has ALL of the required information.
  2. Check and label all tanks with “Health Certificate Request”.
  3. Verify the location of the animals in the tanks and that they are identified correctly.
  4. Our team will notify you once the animals have been examined by a veterinarian and the certificate is signed and will either be e-mailed, dropped off, or can be picked up in person at the office that completed the exam.

For International Shipments Only

A USDA-APHIS stamp of approval (endorsement) may be required for some international Aquatic Animal Health Certificates.

PLAN AHEAD: If your health certificate is international, please check with the receiving country or shipping company (e.g. World Courier) for any additional requirements (e.g. additional paperwork). This is the responsibility of the group to obtain these documents prior to submitting the aquatic animal health certificate request form. Also, timing for international health certificates may be critical. Some countries require that a health certificate is signed within 3 days prior to shipment.

If a USDA-APHIS stamp of approval is required, once you obtain your signed Aquatic Animal Health Certificate (and supplemental documentation, if any) from Veterinary Services, the document(s) will need to be send overnight by FedEx/UPS/ USPS (with a return pre-paid envelop) or taken in person to the USDA-APHIS office in Tumwater, WA for endorsement.

For more information, contact your local USDA office at (360)753-9430 or visit their website.

Notes Regarding Specific Fish Species

  • Completed veterinary health certificates should always accompany fish shipped internationally. This is also recommended for the shipment of fish within the USA. As of 2021 there are no federal (USDA-APHIS or US Fish & Wildlife) importation requirements or restrictions for zebrafish (Danio rerio).
  • As of 2021 there are no importation requirements or restrictions for zebrafish (Danio rerio) from the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife if the fish WILL ONLY be used for research endeavors.”

For questions regarding transferring or ordering aquatic animals please contact Dr. George Sanders 206-543-4652.