UW Undergraduate Research Program

<<< URP Home

Students in Research
See more URP photos!

URP Advising

Creative Commons License
The Undergraduate Research Program website, created by the Undergraduate Research Program at the University of Washington, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Permissions beyond the scope of this license are available at exp.washington.edu/urp/about/rights.html

Information For Research Mentors

Awarding Credit

Some students want to earn credit for their research experience. The Undergraduate Research Program does not offer credit for research; however, most students can earn departmental or general studies credit.

The best way students can obtain credit for involvement in undergraduate research is through their department. Most often, credit is offered in the form of a designated "independent research" course, such as Psych 499 , Bioen 499 , and CHID 499 . Students involved in research with another department may be able to earn credit through that department's research course.

Alternatively, students who have yet to declare their major may earn credit through General Studies 391 . In most cases, students can earn 1 credit for every 30 hours of research completed per quarter, pending faculty approval. More information about this option is available from Jim Scott in Undergraduate Academic Affairs at jimscott@u.washington.edu .