Sheila Edwards Lange Named Interim President at Seattle Central College

Lange-Sheila-Edwards-33-finalDr. Sheila Edwards Lange, ’00, ’06, UW vice president for minority affairs and vice provost for diversity since 2007, has accepted a position as interim president of Seattle Central College, the Seattle College District announced on June 29.

Lange, who will begin her new role on Aug. 17, has been a force for diversity at the UW. She has had oversight of numerous programs and partnerships that broadened college access, supported student success and enhanced diversity-related teaching and learning on campus. Lange has also helped develop creative faculty recruitment initiatives and actively mentored students, especially those in science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields.

“Serving as Vice President and Vice Provost for Minority Affairs and Diversity for the last nine years has been the most rewarding experience of my career,” she said. “Interim President Ana Mari Cauce has been a friend and mentor to me for over 15 years, and I will miss working with her to champion equity and diversity on campus. She and Interim Provost Jerry Baldasty have been exceptional partners. However, this new role provides an unprecedented opportunity for me to advance professionally and pursue my passion for student access and success.”

More information can be found in the Seattle Central College press release and this Seattle Times article. Plans for naming interim leadership and the search for the permanent vice president and vice provost will be announced soon.