UW experts on major issues in the news
UW experts on issues in the news are available for media interviews. Here is a partial list of major issues being discussed in the media. For a complete list of subject areas and UW media contacts, click here.
- Harmful algal blooms: Research and monitoring for harmful algal blooms.
- The Arctic and oil: Arctic Ocean and Chukchi Sea, Arctic drilling, science of oil spills, preparedness, port operations, freight transportation.
- Big data: UW eScience Institute, data-intensive discovery, data visualization, machine learning.
- Marijuana: Use and abuse, legalization, historical perspective, assessing addictive behaviors, medicinal properties.
- Immigration: Law, policy, immigrants’ rights and provision of legal services, relative powers of Congress and the President, criminalization of immigrants, politcal ramifications of President Obama’s Nov. 20, 2014 speech.
- Flooding and landslides: Causes and consequences of flooding and landslides.
- Earthquakes: Seismology, geology, engineering, and disaster preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation policy.
- Weather: Pacific Northwest weather trends and global weather phenomena.
- Climate change: Regional and global climate change.
- Infrastructure: Engineering and other experts, including urban transportation planning and policy, tolls, intelligent transportation systems, and high-performance building systems and environmental life cycle assessment of buildings.
- The Middle East: History of the Middle East, modern-day conflict, state-society relationships, Islamic and constitutional law, and U.S. foreign policy in the region.
- Politics and elections: Historic perspective, tea party, civil rights, racial and ethnic minorities, faith and politics, media and politics, economy and taxes, labor economics and social issues, public opinion and public policy.
- Terrorism: Political extremism, ethnic and religious conflict, tyrannical governments, U.S. foreign policy, and the role of the Internet.