Husky Promise® Home FAQ Contact Us Mission Statement


The University of Washington offers a full range of grant opportunities for students who qualify. Approximately $200 million in grants were received by our undergraduates in 2012-13. Although grant assistance is not the largest source of funds available, it is important to complete the FAFSA application in case you could be eligible for the programs below.

Grants are federal, state and institutional funds awarded on the basis of need, which do not have to be repaid. Most grant programs are from limited annual allocations and award priority is determined by financial need.

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to eligible undergraduate students. This is the largest federal student grant program. Eligibility is determined by the U.S. Department of Education. Your award amount is based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) printed on the Student Aid Report (SAR), the form mailed or e-mailed directly to you after you sent your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Supplemental Grants are for undergraduates with low family contributions, eligible for the Pell Grant.

State Need Grants, which come from state government revenue, are offered to undergraduate Washington residents with great financial need. Eligibility is determined using a methodology established by the state and administered by the Washington State Achievement Council (WSAC). If you are attending from another state, be sure and check with your home state regarding the availability of state grants.

Tuition Exemption and University Grants are for Washington resident undergraduate students in state-funded programs. These grants are not available to students in fee-based programs.

Child of Deceased or Disabled Washington Law Enforcement Officer or Fire Fighter Tuition Exemption is available for undergraduate students who are a child of a law enforcement officer or fire fighter who lost their life or became totally disabled in the line of duty while they were employed by any public enforcement agency or a full-time volunteer within the state of Washington. The tuition exemption is for a partial waiver of undergraduate tuition and fees. For more information contact Student Financial Aid in 105 Schmitz.

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides federal grants for students who teach as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. If the teaching requirement is not fulfilled, this grant converts to an unsubsidized loan you must repay. If you are in a major that leads directly to an initial teaching certificate and are interested in this program, please visit the Teach Grant site to review the details of this program.