Student Blog Update: Meet Australia Blogger Luis Gonzales

by Luis Gonzales

Luis GonzalesHello everyone, my name is Luis Gonzales and I just completed my freshman year here at the University of Washington. I am pursuing a degree in either Civil or Mechanical Engineering and have found an amazing opportunity to gain more experience in engineering—an Australian Study Abroad! Through LSAMP — Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation — the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity, and the College of Engineering this Australian Study Abroad has become possible. I seek to experience a new culture and an amazing study abroad experience from both an educational and personal perspective.

I am from Toppenish, a small town in eastern Washington and a mainly agriculture focused community. A community largely of Mexican descent and culture proves difficult to escape and experience the rest of the world at times. As a part of such a community I would have never believed I would find myself planning to travel halfway across the world to another continent. But thanks to the University of Washington and all the programs mentioned above this absolutely incredible experience has become a reality for me! Stay tuned to live this experience with me as I go through my unbelievable “Australian Adventure.”

Back to the Blog