Welcome New Huskies

You’ll be faced with many choices and options on your journey to becoming a Husky. The activities on this page, however, are required. You must do all of them to enroll at the UW. If you get stuck at any point, don’t hesitate to ask for help. We’re here.

Steps to becoming a Husky

  1. Understand the offer of admission
  2. Create a UW NetID  (if you haven’t already)
  3. Accept the offer & pay the fee
  4. Reserve a spot for Advising & Orientation
  5. Consider your housing options
  6. Make sure you’re immunized
  7. Submit a photo for your Husky card
  8. Complete the e-Checkup survey
  9. Send final transcripts
  10. International students: additional steps

Things you must do before coming to UW

Understand the offer of admission

This part is less fun, so let’s get it out of the way first.

We think you are going to be a great Husky, but the UW reserves the right to withdraw the offer of admission if:

  • Your final records fail to show completion of required courses,
  • You failed to maintain satisfactory scholastic standing in your coursework, or
  • Our decision was based on incomplete or inaccurate information you provided in your application file.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way, let’s move on to the fun part — confirming your offer of admission.

Assigned major

You are assigned a major or pre-major designation at the time of admission. There are many pre-major designations and this will change once you enter your major. You’ll find your assigned major in your offer letter and on MyUW. For more information about how majors are assigned review the admission to majors page.


  • If you requested a major that has prerequisites (college courses you have to take first), is capacity-constrained, or requires that you enroll at the UW before applying to the major, you were assigned to one of the UW’s pre-major designations such as pre-humanities or pre-sciences.
  • If you requested an engineering major (except computer engineering), you were either assigned engineering undeclared or pre-major.
  • If you requested computer science or computer engineering, you were either assigned computer science/computer engineering or pre-sciences.
  • You’ll learn lots more about choosing and declaring a major at Advising & Orientation.


  • If you requested a major that has prerequisites (college courses you have to take first), is capacity-constrained, or requires that you enroll at the UW before applying to the major, you were assigned to one of the UW’s pre-major designations, such as pre-humanities or pre-sciences.

Finish College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs)

CADRs are admission requirements, so they must be satisfactorily completed before you enroll at the UW.

  • Review freshman or transfer CADRs.
  • If you are unable to fulfill UW admission requirements and conditions before enrolling, or if you plan to satisfy CADRs with different courses than the ones you specified on your application, contact Admissions.

More information about UW credits

Advanced level credit from high school?

Learn more about freshman or transfer exams for credit, like Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) or Advanced and Advanced Subsidiary (A and AS Level) Exams.

  • Students must submit official exam certificates or attested copies

Got college credits?

If you have completed college coursework while in high school or are a transfer student, the UW Office of Admissions will prepare an evaluation of your college work after receiving the New Student Enrollment and Orientation Fee (NSEOF). Advisers will need this evaluation in order to counsel you about academic requirements and courses to take at the UW.
To help us finish quickly the evaluation of transfer credit, please:

  • Pay the NSEOF as soon as possible, rather than waiting until the payment deadline.
  • Request that official college transcripts be sent to the Office of Admissions as soon as the college has recorded your final grade and (if applicable) associate degree.
  • Have copies of your unofficial college transcripts with you for Advising & Orientation.

As soon as transfer credit has been added to your UW record, you may view it in MyUW. Credit will be awarded prior to your A&O session.
Washington community college students can get some idea of how their credits will transfer by visiting the Equivalency Guide for Washington Community and Technical Colleges.

Submit a photo for your Husky card

Your Husky card is your key to efficiency on campus and serves as your University ID, providing access to eligible services such as dining plans, facilities, transportation, UW libraries, and so much more.

Submit your photo online to be able to have your Husky card printed and sent to you by mail. Students with an international address should submit a photo online and plan to pick up their Husky card on campus.  Visit the Husky Card Operations page for more information.

Complete the e-Checkup survey

e-Checkup is an interactive, confidential web survey that asks you questions about your drinking patterns and provides personalized feedback about your alcohol use. It enables you to compare your drinking patterns to other college students, gives you accurate information about drinking norms, and provides helpful strategies for harm reduction and responding to alcohol emergencies, whether you choose to drink or not.

Send your final transcripts

You are required to send your final official transcripts — showing all completed coursework.

Due dates for final transcripts

  • January 10 for winter quarter
  • April 10 for spring quarter
  • July 15 for summer and autumn quarter

International students

Questions? Here are answers to the most commonly asked I-20 and visa questions.

Additional steps

Request an I-20 or DS-2019

Once you have paid the NSEOF, upload your completed I-20 Request Form and digital copies of the documents below. An I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the UW is required before you can apply for an F-1 student visa or J-1 scholar visa. Submit all documents together by uploading digital copies using the online submission portal. Do not mail any documents to Admissions. Keep all of your original documents for your records.


Sign up for an Embark session

In addition to your A&O session, all new international students on F-1 or J-1 visas are required to attend one Embark session during FIUTS International Welcome Weeks. Multiple dates will be available to choose from during the International Welcome Weeks but all students must register for a session in advance. The required Embark session will focus on immigration information and your transition to the UW and the U.S. All other workshops, activities, and events that are part of the International Welcome Programs are strongly encouraged but optional.


Sign up for health insurance

Federal and state laws require that international students maintain adequate health insurance coverage while enrolled in courses at the UW. All students in F-1 or J-1 status are required to purchase the UW International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP). You will be required to select your preferred insurance options when you register for classes during your A&O session.

International students will take all of  their fall courses remotely outside of the U.S. can request to waive the ISHIP requirement for fall by submitting a waiver request. Waiver requests are due by the third Friday of each quarter, but students may submit a waiver request at any time after registering for quarterly classes.

Contact the ISHIP Office if you have any questions.

FIUTS Welcome Week Homestay Program

If this is your first time studying and living in the U.S., a FIUTS Homestay will provide you with a local host for 7-10 days who can assist you during your transition while you learn your way around the Seattle area. This program is not designed for students who have previously lived or traveled extensively in the U.S. or who have friends and family in the area.

Decline the offer of admission

If you choose not to attend the Seattle campus of the UW, we appreciate you letting us know.