The deadline for all three awards is November 1, 2022.
The Office of Global Affairs (OGA) is now accepting applications for the Fall 2022 Global Innovation Fund (GIF) cycle. GIF seeds projects focused on expanding international research and learning at the UW, advancing interdisciplinarity and transformative global collaborations.
OGA is especially interested in supporting proposals by new entrants and early-career faculty.
There are three categories of awards for this cycle:
UW faculty members, research scientists, and non-faculty researchers from the Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell campuses are encouraged to apply for a Tier 1 Research Award (up to $5,000) or a Tier 2 Research Award (up to $20,000).
Research projects may include:
- Research collaborations with international universities and/or organizations
- Cross-college and interdisciplinary conferences, symposia, and workshops
- Visiting scholar support and faculty exchanges
Teaching & Curriculum Awards
UW faculty members, lecturers, and staff engaged in course development are eligible to apply for awards up to $2,000 to add a global module, project, or innovation to a course.
GIF Teaching & Curriculum project examples include:
- International virtual exchange or Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL)
- Global student consulting or research projects
- Incorporation of international speaker(s)
- Interactive international learning activities
Study Abroad/Away Awards
OGA is pleased to offer this award for the first time since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
GIF Study Abroad/Away award request types include:
- Pre-program visit, international (up to $5,000)
- Pre-program visit, domestic (up to $3,000)
- Embed a global component to a spring or winter class (three years: up to $10,000/year)
- Create a new domestic study away program (three years: up to $10,000/year)
- Fund an additional faculty member to attend an existing program to share responsibility of maintaining the program in the future (domestic: up to $3,000, international: up to $5,000)
Awarded programs must be run through UW Study Abroad.
For any questions regarding GIF, please reach out to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The next planned award cycle for the Global Engagement Fellows Award is Spring 2023.