Department of Comparative Medicine

Animal Exports


Visit the Animal Import page if you wish to import animals to the University of Washington.

Visit the Intra-UW Animal Transfer page if you want to transfer animals within or between UW facilities.

The process by which animals relocate from UW property to an outside institution is defined as an Animal Export. The RHMP provides health reports to receiving institutions upon UW PI personnel request. The receiving institution may either accept or deny the animals based on the health report. The receiving institution may have additional questions or request supplementary testing. The RHMP may assist in the process and additional fees will apply.   

Animals may be exported to other Seattle institutions (e.g., Allen Institute of Brain Science, Benaroya Research Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle Children’s Hospital), elsewhere within the USA, or internationally. Each export will differ in process and timeline.

For more information about Animal Exports please contact

To request a Rodent Health Monitoring report, please click here

UW Rodent Shipping Checklist

Exports Within Seattle: Department of Comparative Medicine (DCM) Vehicle

Transportation / Delivery Request is now done within AOps


Export Processes

Please see the following “decision trees” for Exports:

            Within Seattle

            Within the USA (Domestic)

            Outside the USA (International)