Post a research opportunity
The Undergraduate Research Program (URP) is committed to helping students participate in the UW’s world-class research enterprise under the guidance of faculty mentors. Listing your research opportunities or indicating your willingness to be an undergraduate research mentor is a great help in this work. Thank you for your dedication to undergraduate learning through research!
Frequently Asked Questions
I don't have any formal undergraduate research positions open but I am willing to mentor undergraduate students. Can I still post in the database?
Yes! We welcome all postings. You may wish to simply summarize some of your research interests or project ideas and ask students to contact you if they are interested in pursuing a project. This type of posting is particularly useful for social science, humanities, and arts research where structured positions are less common and undergraduate research proceeds in an independent study model.
How do students use the database?
By posting your undergraduate research opportunity on this web site, students will be able to:
- Search for your opportunity by relevant research area
- Search for your opportunity by keyword
- Read your project description
- E-mail you if they are interested in the opportunity
What should I include in the description?
Some key components of a position description*:
- Brief description of the research project (may also include duration, size of the research team, etc.)
- Potential role for the student(s) and any specific tasks that the student(s) would be performing
- Potential student benefits
- Estimated number of hours per week you anticipate the student will work on the project
- Minimum qualifications required (e.g., specify skills or prerequisite coursework)
* If more than one position is available within the same project, you may choose to post each separately OR include a list of the positions within the same description.
*If you don’t have a specific project in mind but are willing to mentor a student project, please indicate in the description.