You can create an admin action in three ways:
The best way to create an Admin Action is from a parent item. When you create an Admin Action from a parent item, the system automatically populates some fields with details from the parent item. An Application, Cycle, or Funding Action might be the parent of an Admin Action.
In rare situations, you may need to create an Admin Action without a parent. For example, OSP may receive notification of funding before the research team has submitted an eGC1. In this case, you can create an Admin Action, convert it to a Funding Action, and then make the FA a child of the application as soon as the eGC1 is complete and In OSP.
To create an Admin Action from the Tasklist of a Parent Item
- Click the appropriate tab for the parent item. For example, if the parent is an application, click the Applications tab.
- Locate the parent item on the tasklist, and click the Actions + button located in the right-most tasklist column.
- In the button’s drop-down menu, select Create New Action.
The new Unidentified Admin Action will display. The system will assigned it a unique number with a prefix of AA and the action will inherit basic project details from its parent.
To create an Admin Action from within the Parent Item
If you have already opened the parent Application or Funding Action, select the Admin Actions tab, and click the Create New Admin Action link to create a new unidentified Admin Action.
To create an Admin Action from the Administration Tab
Hover over the Administration tab, and select Create new Admin Action from the drop-down menu.
After you create the Admin Action, you can look up and select a parent for it. If the parent is:
- A new cycle, the system will copy the project details from the Admin Action to the cycle.
- An existing cycle, the cycle’s data values for Short Title, Sponsor, Org Receiving Funding, and Sponsor Award Number will replace those of the action. The PI specified on the Admin Action will not change.
- An existing eGC1, the project details from the eGC1 will replace those of the Admin Action.
- An existing Funding Action, the system will copy project details from the FA to the Admin Action.
You can change any Funding Action or Admin Action in Approved, Denied, Duplicate, or Returned by GCA status back to In OSP status. Use the In OSP link on the left navigation menu to start the process.
A pop-up window will appear that will allow you to change the status, reassign the item, and add comments if desired.
Add any explanatory comments you wish, reassign the item if necessary, then click on the In OSP button to complete the process. The pop-up window will close, and the item details page will refresh showing the new status.
Note: If you change an Admin Action assigned to the location File back to In OSP status, the system displays a warning message, which reads:
“An Admin Action with status of In OSP may not be assigned to File. Please modify the status or the assignment.”
To complete the process, you will need to reassign the Admin Action to a value other than File.
You can access the OSP Notes page by clicking the OSP Notes tab from an opened item. This page is only visible to people with access to SPAERC. You can use this page to:
- Enter notes for the item.
- View all the OSP Notes for the item.
- View system-generated notes for holds or assignments.
Note: The OSP Notes History section at the bottom of the main FA or PAC page is visible to both SPAERC and SERA users, and contains some of the OSP Notes information. In an eGC1 application, the OSP Notes also display at the bottom of the Control Sheet.
To add an OSP note
- From the open application, click the OSP Notes tab.
- In the Notes field, enter your comments. You can then click the Reset button to clear the text or click Save to keep the note.
- After clicking Save, the page will refresh and display the newly-added comment. Once you add a note, you cannot edit or delete it.
The Application OSP Notes History displays the details of four types of actions: status changes, assignments, holds, and notes directly added.
A Funding Action may also have a note with a type of “GCA Update.” This indicates that GCA has edited a field. The note text will indicate the change. For example, Budget Details Location changed from [Award documents] to [eGC1 Attachments].
- Date: when the action occurred.
- Type: what action generated the entry.
- Entered by: the person taking the action.
- Status: shows the value that resulted from the action taken.
- Assigned to: for an assignment change, the new person.
- OSP Note Text: system-generated comments or ones directly entered.
A single action can result in multiple entries on the OSP Notes page. For example, the scenario below shows:
- The application reached In OSP status since the last campus reviewer approved it
- The owner (David) withdrew the application
- When the owner re-completed the application, the system logged three entries:
- a. An assignment to the OSP reviewer as part of the re-completion (indicated as SPAERC Administrator)
- b. An initial change of status from Withdrawn to Routing
- c. A second change of status from Routing to In OSP once the system re-assessed the approval flow and noted that all campus approvals were still complete following the withdrawal
A breadcrumb trail displays immediately under the “SPAERC” heading. The left-most choice is “Back to Spaerc Tasklist” which you can use to return to the last tasklist viewed. To the right of that is the item number. Click it to return to the page you see when you first open that type of item.
The page heading displays just below the breadcrumb and includes the Short Title, the item ID, and the name of the PI. This appears on every page as a quick reference.
This article covers:
Using the Action Bar
The icons on the action bar will vary depending on the item you are viewing, and whether the item is locked or unlocked.
Possible Icons in the Action Bar
||Writes any changes made to the database
||Clears any text entered on the page since the last save
||Displays the preceding page in an application
||Displays the following page in an application
Note: any time you navigate from one page to another, SPAERC saves any changes made to the item.
Within an application, the eGC1 pages contain a Previous link and a Continue button, which provide another way to navigate from page to page.
Using the Left Navigation Menu
The left navigation menu for an item generally contains “action” links such as change status, place or remove holds, save & close. For an application, you will also see links to view its pages, a summary, the approval graph and related approvals pages.
Using the Item Tabs
Use the set of tabs across the top of the main display area to access pages related to the item. Generally, you use the left-most tab to return to the page you see when you first open that item.
The following image shows the set of tabs for an application. The tabs are: Application, Funding Actions, Admin Actions, OSP Notes, Assignments, Status, Auto Generated Documents, and Cycle Details.
Applications, Funding Actions, and Admin Actions have the following tabs in common.
||Displays both system-generated notes and any that you add directly by using the text box on the page. For more details, see the OSP Notes Page article.
||Used to reassign the item, and optionally some related items, to another individual within OSP. You can also view assignment history. For more details, see the Reassign an Item article.
||Shows the history of status changes to the item from when it was initially created. For more details, see the Status article for the specific item type.
|Auto Generated Documents
||Displays a page with email and/or letters you can use to communicate with the research team or the sponsor. See the Auto Generated Documents articles for more details.
||When hovered over with the mouse, this tab displays a flyout list of this item’s cycle ID and all of that cycle’s related items. If no one has placed the item in a cycle yet, no list will appear. If you click the tab when there is no cycle, a pop-up window will appear with options for placing the item into a cycle. See the Cycles articles for more details.
In addition to the common tabs, since Applications and Funding Actions can have related items (children), they have tabs for viewing a list of these items, and accessing them.
- Applications have a Funding Actions and an Admin Actions tab.
- Funding Actions have a Subawards and an Admin Actions tab.
Note: Use the Admin Actions tab to create a new Admin and/or Funding Action as a child of the current item.
Cycles have just the OSP Notes and Assignments tabs.
The following table describes the Admin Action fields common to all types of actions.
|Admin Action Number
||A unique identification number the system assigns automatically at creation. The number remains the same when action type is changed, but its prefix changes to indicate the action type:
- Unidentified Admin Action (AA)
- Funding Action (FA)
- Pre-Award Notification (PAN)
- Post-Award Change (PAC)
- Close Out (CO)
- Non-Award Agreement (NAA)
The Admin Action number displays at the top of each page.
|Parent Item Number
||The number for the parent of the action. If you created the action from the parent item, the system automatically populates this value. If not, use the look up button to select a parent.
||Status can be:
- In OSP – default status at creation
- Approved – Click Approve in the left navigation menu to change an action to “Approved.”
- Denied – Click Deny in the left navigation menu to change an action to “Denied.”
- Duplicate – Click Mark as Duplicate in the left navigation menu to change the action to “Duplicate.”
|Currently assigned to individual
||Initially, the person who created the item. The “Assign” button opens a pop-up you can use to reassign the item, add an OSP note, and view the Assignment History.
- Short Title
- Principal Investigator
- Org Receiving Funding
- Sponsor Award Number
|This data comes from the parent item. If you change these values on the Admin Action, they will not copy back to the parent item. Note that when GCA saves a PAC, the Short Title changes to all uppercase.
||This shows the attached documents for the action.
- Click the icons or “attachments” link to view details of current attachments.
- Click View to view a specific attachment.
If the action is unlocked for editing, you will have the option to upload attachments by clicking Add New Attachment.
Note: the system may not allow you to changing an Admin Action that has attachments to a Funding Action if the attachment types are other than Internal (UW) Documents. A validation message will display: “This action currently has attachments of an invalid type for the selected action type. Please correct the attachment types, choose a different action type or create a new action.”
||You can include any additional information here. If you selected “Other” on the checkbox list, use Comments to provide an explanation. You can edit or add to the Comments as needed. They can also be displayed on the tasklist.